Frequently Asked Questions
Do I need a Lawyer?
If you or a loved one has been contacted by any representative of law enforcement or governmental agency for an “interview,” you should consult with an experienced trial attorney before being interviewed.
If you have been accused of wrongdoing or there is a possibility that you could become the focus of a governmental investigation, you should consult an experienced criminal defense attorney as soon as possible.
Too often individuals in these situations mistakenly think they are safe because they believe that they have done nothing wrong. Another common mistake is the belief that they can talk their way out of the situation or otherwise “set the record straight.”
- Rule No. 1- There is a reason the authorities want to speak with you; do not assume that the reason is to help you.
- Rule No. 2- Without an understanding of the law or knowledge of the information the investigators wishing to speak with you possess, you stand a zero chance of talking your way out of the situation. Governmental investigators are trained and experienced interrogators and you should not place yourself at such an unfair disadvantage. Consult a qualified attorney early and you may avoid grief and heartache later.
What is the difference between a public defender and a private attorney?
A Public Defender is still an attorney who will represent you. However, the attorney is assigned to you and is being financially compensated by the government… the same government trying to convict you and possibly send you to prison. A private Criminal Defense Attorney is someone who is focused on your case and is experienced with your particular crime.
Notable Information About Muñoz & Associates
More than 40 years of litigation experience, including:
- 150 plus Criminal Jury Trials
- 15 Civil Jury Trials
- 25 Civil Case Meditations
- 5 Contested Arbitrations
- 5 Professional Licensing Board Hearings
Mr. Muñoz holds an AV Peer Review Rating of 5.0 out of 5.0. AV is the preeminent rating, achievable only after admission to the bar for at least ten years, indicating the highest level of legal ability and ethics. For peer, review commentary click here http://www.martindale.com/Edward-R-Munoz/72559-lawyer.htm?view=cr
10 years of experience as an Orange County Deputy District Attorney
Orange County District Attorney Highlights:
- Worked in Major Narcotics Enforcement
- Voted Deputy District Attorney of the Year (1984-1985) by Orange County Narcotics Officers Association
- Homicide Unit – Murder Case Prosecutions
- Co-authored Livsey Hearing Protocol for Death Penalty Case Review within Orange County
- For over 40 years, Muñoz & Associates has been dedicated to criminal defense, personal injury, and professional license defense
- Former clients include police officers, professional athletes, judges, attorneys, political figures, doctors, and teachers
- National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- Orange County Bar Association